
Not laying-out is like Caribou not wanting to walk over a small pipe.
Last night was about as cold as it gets in Townsville at this time of year but it was still plenty warm enough for 18 fine people to turn up in the dark, "cold", pouring rain for an opportunity to play what is almost ready to be recognised as a different sport "Ultimate in the Rain". I must apologise for getting there "late" last night (late rather than not at all) and for being tardy on the equipment front.
It almost becomes a different game. For many people, everything just falls apart, throws, catches and especially turning and stopping capabilities and for some reason SMART gameplay goes as well....One thing that does improve is the number of people who lay-out for things. This definitely goes some way to pointing out that the "lay-out" is far more mental than anything else and for those who want it in their game overcoming the mental barrier is probably the best place to start. Apparently Caribou who live in flat snow covered tundra environments will not cross pipes no matter how easily they could. I'm sure it's similar for a lot of people. People don't like jumping forward and face first. But all the other aspects of rain ultimate can just make playing scrappy ultimate enjoyable once again. I decided the no-shoes option would be more fun for me.
I remember once forgetting my shoes on a bit of a muddy field and that it represented a lot more of a challenge to me at the time during cutting. I definitely had to be a lot smarter to get open. Last night it was no use at all cause the only way to stop was an extra ten steps and a "travel" call everytime or landing on one's arse. The one time I tried to outsmart Chris who was wearing shoes and I think pretty determined to beat me I forgot about the conditions and tried one too many hard turns and ended up uselessly on the ground. I definitely heard "travel" everytime I caught the disc.
Duncan managed to leave 2m long burnout marks from a knee slide, probably trying to make up for Bec's "ghost D" on him in the air in his endzone. I also decided to pay out on Bevo for dropping a wet hammer that I had already missed. Sorry Bevo. But different to most people I think Couper just seems to thrive in these wet conditions after watching his mud-covered game against John Doe at Mixed Nats where I was a shivering mess (it was cold rain and wind) and at the start of an unwanted mental and perhaps physical (at least skills-wise) breakdown. Once again mud boy was getting muddy probably because he feels good about discovering Napisan plus and just likes to use it now.
Thanks to everyone for turning up last night, their eagerness and patience! Even though I was late I'm still gonna diss everyone from the 18 at the start who weren't in the final 4 VS 5 at the very end only an hour an a bit later. You dragged me off a warm couch and leave early and I end up having more fun than you!!! Let's at least say goodbye next time!
Cheers to the final 9 or 10 or 11 - Rob D, Dave D, Duncan, Bec (we'll throw you in even though you left), Macon Bacon, Hugh, Ashley, Chris, Bevo...ah i can't remember. But kudos to you.
We are not Caribou!
Over and out!
Did someone say Wee-a-boo?
ReplyDeletehttp://www.google.com.au/imgres?imgurl=http://pressbuttonforstupid.files.wordpress.com/2010/08/weeaboo.jpg&imgrefurl=http://pressbuttonforstupid.wordpress.com/&usg=__-VlMIgLiLzXi2Md60oFxUaJ9PZE=&h=250&w=600&sz=63&hl=en&start=13&zoom=1&tbnid=Eh_kTWkd1epLpM:&tbnh=56&tbnw=135&prev=/images%3Fq%3Ddid%2Bsomeone%2Bsay%2Bweeaboo%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26tbs%3Disch:1&um=1&itbs=1
by far my favorite post of the season.. I like your use of bolding for emphasis
ReplyDelete